Patrick Brook – BA (Hons), DELTA, MA, Dip. Couns., CTA (P)
My name is Patrick Brook and I am a qualified and experienced psychotherapist and counsellor working in Brighton, East Sussex. I work with a diverse range of issues with people from all backgrounds on a short, medium or long term basis depending on need. I use a variety of techniques and models – my specialism is Transactional Analysis.
I have a Diploma in Counselling (Dip.Couns) and am certified as a Transactional Analyst in the field of psychotherapy (CTA – P). In addition, I hold an undergraduate honours degree in the Humanities (BA Hons), a Masters degree in the field of Applied Linguistics, (MA), and a teaching Diploma (DELTA). I am a Senior Accredited Member of the National Counselling Society, and a UKCP Registered Psychotherapist. I am a member of a number of professional bodies and I support and promote LGBT+ affirmative practice.
Why choose a Transactional Analysis Psychotherapist?
A Certified Transactional Analyst Psychotherapist has to meet the rigorous criteria of the United Kingdom Council for Psychotherapy (UKCP) and the European Association of Transactional Analysis (EATA). Under these two bodies, as a minimum requirement, a Certified Transactional Analysis Psychotherapist must:
- Have completed no less than four years of post-graduate psychotherapy training of at least 900 hours (including supervision).
- Have no less than 750 hours of previous experience as a practitioner, at least 50 of which must be with couples or groups.
- Have been supervised by a senior practitioner all through the process at a rate of one hour of supervision for every six hours of work with clients.
- Understand mental ill health through undertaking a placement with psychiatric specialists.
- Abide by professional ethics required by both UKCP and EATA (UKATA).
- Have engaged in their own personal therapy for no less than the duration of their training.
- Submit evidence each year to demonstrate they are continuing their professional development before and after qualification.
- Submit and pass a written Dissertation/Case Study of no less 24,000 words.
- Understand child & adult psychological development.
- Have passed an oral examination with a panel of four Certified Transactional Analysts.